Lunch & Learn @ Home
The Sweet Side of Prohibition: Coffee, Candy, Cola – October 23, 2020 (12-1 p.m.) – Register Now!
Much of the history of the prohibition era in America focuses on what Americans could not consume – alcohol. Grab your lunch or a snack at home and join The W.H. Stark House’s Historian Joshua Cole as we take a look at some the foods and drinks that tried to take alcohol’s place in the American diet and society. Many of the nation’s most beloved and cherished sweets owe their modern prominence and, in some cases, very existence to the prohibition and temperance movement. We’ll take a look at how people in Orange and the rest of the country struggled to fill the void left by alcohol. The most common solution? Lots and lots of sugar.
Participants must register for this FREE program in advance.
This program will be broadcast live from The W.H. Stark House through Zoom. Participants are encouraged to download Zoom prior to the event. For more information, including tutorials for using Zoom, please visit the Resources page on the Zoom website.
This live program will be recorded and available at a later date on The W.H. Stark House website and Stark Cultural Venues YouTube channel.
J. T. Brewer leaning on a stack of wooden, boxes], photograph, 1920;(https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1247/: accessed October 6, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu/; crediting Fort Bend Museum.
The W.H. Stark House is excited to announce 2nd Friday & Saturday Monthly Tours for the 2020 season. Tours include all three floors of the main House, feature two recently restored rooms, and, as always, display original family furnishings, personal effects, and decorative arts. Reserve your free tour today!
Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
We invite you and your family to share the holidays with us at The W.H. Stark House. On the second floor, enjoy a glimpse of an intimate family Christmas in our restored Sitting Room, complete with silk wall treatment minted in France and installed by the textile team from Woven Inspiration in Galveston, TX. All restoration elements have been painstakingly researched to showcase the House as it was in its prime.
Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Sunday 12:30-4:30 p.m.
- November 27-29, 2020- CANCELLED
- December 4-5, 2020- CANCELLED
- December 11-12, 2020- CANCELLED
- December 18-19, 2020- CANCELLED
Specialty Tours feature an in depth look at a specific topic or part of the collection in an after-hours program.
- Home is Where the Heart is: A Love Story at the W.H. Stark House – February 27, 2020
- Chapter One: Literature & Legacy at The W.H. Stark House – April 16, 2020 – CANCELLED
- Here, There & Everywhere: Stark Family Travels – June 25, 2020 – CANCELLED
- Austin Bound: Lutcher Stark Leaves Home – August 27, 2020- CANCELLED
- Family Day 1st Floor Tours – March 7, 2020 (10 a.m.- 2 p.m.)
- Art in the Park 1st Floor Tours – April 4, 2020 (10 a.m.- 3 p.m.) – CANCELLED
- Stark Reading Contest County Final – April 26, 2020 (2 p.m.) – POSTPONED
- Mother’s Day with Miriam – May 7, 2020 (5:30-7 p.m.)- CANCELLED